For the past month and a half, I’ve been going to the gym before work with a coworker. We have a pretty good collection of gym equipment in our basement, so I’ve always worked out at home (errr…on and off), but my coworker has been trying to get me to go to the gym with her since last year, and she finally succeeded. Girl deserves a round of applause – I’ve had friends try to convince me for years!
Even though I try to do a 25-30 minute workout in the mornings, I only get up 10 minutes earlier than the days I don’t go to the gym…it’s already a struggle knowing I have to get up and haul my lazy butt to the gym, I’m sure as heck not waking up at 5:30am to go! This means I have to cut into my getting-ready time instead. Today I thought I’d share with you the beauty products I take with me to give me a quick work-ready look.
My goal for getting ready after the gym is to make myself look awake and polished enough for work. In terms of makeup, there are five basic things I do: Brows, lashes, concealing, blush, and setting powder. 90% of the time, I do have a few extra minutes to apply eye shadow as well, although I’ve run out of time to do that a couple of mornings. My post-workout beauty routine may seem excessive compared to most girls, but it’s just what I’m used to – I’ve noticed most girls in the changing room spend 75% of their time on their hair and 25% of their time on their face, whereas I’m the other way around!
Not including the products I bring into the shower with me, these are the products you can find in my gym bag:
HAIR CARE (not pictured in my featured image):
- Batiste Dry Shampoo – Most people shower in the morning after their workouts. I grew up showering at night so that’s just what I’m used to, and I especially can’t fit a shower into my morning schedule when I’m in a rush. Of course, I still step into the shower to wash my body and face after working out, but I don’t get my hair wet since there’s not enough time to dry AND style my hair. I keep a can of Batiste Dry Shampoo in my gym bag to tide me over until I get home from work to wash my hair. The one I’m currently using is in the Tropical scent.
- Hair Straightener – Even though I use the dry shampoo, my hair is still a mess from being in a ponytail during the workout, so I use a hair straightener to straighten and tame my hair.
I’ve mostly just been bringing whatever skincare samples I have at home to the gym, and most of the samples I own are from Shiseido.
Face Cleanser: Shiseido Extra Creamy Cleansing Foam – a longtime favourite of mine!
Face Serum: Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate – I always apply a serum before my moisturizer. It’s my first time using this particular one from Shiseido, and I’m really enjoying it so far!
Eye Cream: Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Eye Concentrate – this is a gel eye cream. It works well and provides just the right amount of hydration for my dry skin, but I find that the texture is too slippery to wear eye makeup over top without creasing a little. I’m still deciding whether or not to keep the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye Cream in my gym bag instead, but then that means I wouldn’t get to use it on non-gym days!
Face Cream: Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Protective Emulsion – I’ve used this before and it’s just a meh moisturizer – I’m using it for the sake of using it up.
- Sephora Look Smart Travel Eye Brush Set – A travel-sized set that’s handy for on-the-go. Most of them aren’t my favourite, everyday brushes, but it has all of the eye brushes I need.
- Sephora Powder Brush and Smashbox #16 Blush Brush – I absolutely love these brushes, but they’re just so big for travel! I wish I owned travel-sized face brushes. These are also the brushes I use to get ready at home, and it’s kind of annoying taking them in and out of my gym bag…so I might try to look for travel-sized face brushes in the upcoming few months.
- Anastasia Dip Brow Pomade – One necessary step in my makeup routine is doing my brows. I apply this with the angled eyeliner brush from the Sephora mini travel set.
- Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler/Mascara – Next, I will curl my lashes with my Shu Uemura eyelash curler, and then apply mascara. I’m currently using the CoverGirl Clump Crusher mascara.
3. Concealer – The third necessary step is to spot conceal and to cover my dark circles with concealer. I don’t use foundation on gym days – it takes too much time! I do bring the Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector to use under my eyes before applying my NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, but depending on time, I may only use the NARS concealer and forego the corrector.
4. Blush – Blush is a must in my beauty routine. I’ve been leaving my Teeez blush in Very Rouge in my gym bag because it’s an small single blush shade that doesn’t take up much space in my makeup bag!
5. Powder – Last step is to set my makeup with powder, which I use the Laura Mercier Traslucent Powder for. This thing is humongous, and I also wish I had a travel size of this, or at least a smaller container to decant some of the powder into!
There are the two items I always keep in my gym bag in case I have a few extra minutes while I’m getting ready: eyeshadow and eyeliner.
1. Inglot Quad: This is a handy palette to have in my gym bag – I designed it to have everything I need for an eye look: a highlight shade, a transition shade, an all-over lid shade, and a crease shade. I spoke about my issue with the all-over lid shade in my haul of this product: it’s a little too cool-toned and metallic on my skin tone and I would replace it the next time I have access to an Inglot, but it gets the job done.
2. Eyeliner: I find pencil liner to be the least fussy way to line my eyes, so I always leave this one in my gym makeup bag. I currently have a tiny nib of the UD 24/7 Pencil Liner in the shade Zero (matte black) that I am dying to finish up, so I’ve been trying to use it like a madwoman. I think I can finish this thing by the end of the year!
So these are the main makeup items I keep in my gym bag. Yeah, it’s a LOT. I think I’m going to work on making these products more travel-friendly in the next few months (ie making the non travel-sized items travel-sized, etc.) as it’s a pain to haul some of these bigger things around, and I have to constantly take some of the products in and out of my gym bag for every day use!