Hello, everyone! Today is a lifestyle post, which I don’t do often. May 18th marked my 30th birthday, but I’m not mad about it! I know a lot of people moan about going from 29 to 30 because it’s so old, but the 20’s is such a huge decade for change and personal growth for most people, myself included, and I’m excited to see what adventures the 30’s brings.
I was talking to Always Cleia recently, and she said she was going to create a list of 30 things she wanted to achieve before she turned 30 (she’s since posted it here), and how I should come up with 35 things I want to do before I turn 35.
Read on for my list!
1. Become a good baker – I’ve always loved baking, but it’s not one of my talents so I would like to improve upon my skills! “Good” is subjective, but I define this word by being proud of my own work. I’m not there yet!
2. Take up piano again – Did you know I used to teach piano to little ones? You wouldn’t know it if you heard me play now, because I suck. I haven’t touched the piano in years, but I would like to get back into it to the point where I can play fluently again.
3. Do calligraphy as a side hustle (again) – Last year, I wanted to start a calligraphy business but it didn’t get very far. I created a calligraphy Instagram account and shared some of my work, but I haven’t posted anything in over a year or taken on any clients! It was tough to juggle a full-time job, blogging, AND trying to start a business. However, it’s constantly on my mind, and I truly believe that if it’s something you can’t stop thinking about, you were meant to at least try pursuing it. I’ve put this into my “hobbies” section because I want to restart calligraphy as a hobby first before committing to it as a business.
4. Read 5 classic books – I’ve always been an avid reader, but since leaving school, I abandoned all the classics. From now until 2024, I am committing myself to reading 5 of them!
5. Finish 2 TV shows with my husband – My husband and I rarely watch TV together, mostly because we’re busy pursuing our own hobbies, we watch different shows, and because I am a serial binger while he paces himself. We recently finished watching The Office together after almost a year, and I loved getting to finish a show with him for once.
6. Finish 2 video games with my husband – My husband’s favourite pasttime is playing video games, and he asks me to play video games with him sometimes. Most of the time, I don’t – I feel like I just have so much stuff to do that playing video games is the last thing on my mind. In an effort to spend more time with him, I’m aiming to finish 2 video games with him by the time I turn 35. Sounds easy, but this is going to be a real challenge!
7. Self-host my blog – I mean, seriously. I keep putting this off because I know it’s going to take some time and effort, but I just need to get it done.
8. Finish an adult colouring book – I don’t know if I have the patience to do this, but I’ve always wanted to do an adult colouring book. One of the things I loved doing the most as a kid was colouring – maybe this will translate into adulthood!
9. Start a family – this one is not always in our control, but we would love to start a family in the next few years if it’s something that is meant to be for us.
10. Find a job I love – Some background info: I’ve worked at the same company for 7 and a half years. At 25-26, I hated my job, and dreaded going to work every day, but I ended up with a team of people I enjoyed working with immensely, and I had a manager who is just THE most incredible guy. We worked 12-14 hour days a lot, but it didn’t feel that bad because the work was fulfilling and I felt appreciated. This lasted about 2 years, until the beginning of this year, when we did some layoffs and my group was impacted. My manager also got a promotion, which is so well-deserved, but it means I don’t work under him anymore. Our team is completely different now, and without going into details, work is HORRIBLE. I feel way worse about work than I did before. Something needs to change, and I know that it’s not going to be the company, so it’s going to have to be me.
11. Learn a new language – My husband is Vietnamese but I am not, and while his family tries to be inclusive of me, they’ll often slip into Vietnamese at home or at family gatherings. I’ll have no idea what they’re talking about, which is especially frustrating when they’re laughing about something and I want to be in on the joke, haha! I also think his family would appreciate it if I learned!
12. Treat myself to a spa day – I’ve never been to the spa before. I mean, I’ve been to massage therapy because I get shoulder pain from working on the computer all day. However, I’ve never gotten a true pampering spa experience that is actually relaxing.
13. Throw a garden party – Just cause I’ve always wanted to throw a garden party.
14. Get Lasik surgery – This one scares me! I have extremely dry eyes and it’s uncomfortable for me to wear contacts, so I wear glasses most of the time but I hate it. I’ve contemplated Lasik ever since my friends started getting it, but the idea of someone cutting into my eyes is TERRIFYING.
15. Take one weekend to be completely unplugged – I think this one will be so good for the soul!
16. Adopt from an animal shelter – So this one might not happen in the next five years since I know my husband wants to wait until our kids are older to have pets, but it’s always something I wanted to do. I had a family dog growing up who I absolutely adored, and we had adopted him from the animal shelter. I’ve always wanted to adopt again. There are so many pets in need of a good home!
17. Take a DIY terrarium workshop – channeling the inner hipster in me for this one…
18. Gratitude journal every day for a year – I started gratitude journaling last year, but I only did it for about a month before it fell to the wayside. While I did it, it felt so good for the soul to write down everything I was thankful for, so I would like to start this up again.
19. Take myself on a date – You might be noticing a theme here, that there are a lot of self-care goals on my list. To be honest, I’m always running around being productive and DOING stuff, and I really want to learn to take time connecting with MYSELF in the next few years. The idea of a whole day on my own, exploring the city and doing whatever I want to do is unbelievably appealing.
I feel like our travelling will likely come to a pause in the next few years due to goal #8, but I’m still hoping we can get a bit of travel in, so I tried to keep my list reasonable for the next few years. I saw a lot of bustling cities and bright lights in my 20s – NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Las Vegas, Paris, and Rome, just to name a few. In the upcoming few years, I have an increased focus on warm, tropical places for the next few years because I’m tired of running around and just want to sit on the beach, haha!
20. Travel to Greece – Greece is a bucket list place for us. We’re hoping we might be able to squeeze this one in before we have kids, but who knows.
21. Go on a cruise – My husband and I have never been on a cruise because they have always seemed boring to us. However, we’ve done a lot of big trips in recent years, and while I’m extremely grateful for all the opportunities we’ve gotten to travel, planning a big international trip can be tiring. A relaxing cruise is looking pretty appealing to us right now! Plus, I think a cruise might be an easier way to travel with children.
22. Swim with sea turtles – This is another item that has always been on my bucket list. I’ve never been able to see a sea turtle in its natural habitat, even when we went snorkeling in the North Shore in Hawaii, where it’s common to see sea turtles. I’m gonna make sure it happens!
23. Visit Australia – Australia has been on our list of places to visit for a while now, and I only wanted to go more after I watched Instant Hotel. I also follow a ton of Australian Instagrammers, some of which I have really gotten to know, and it seems like such a beautiful place!
24. Make it out to the mountains (at least) twice a year – the Rockies are a place that is on a lot of other people’s bucket lists, and it’s almost literally in our backyard, but we rarely make it out in the summer.
25. Visit all of the Disney parks in the world – I don’t know if we’re going to be able to do this one, but I’ll be damned if I don’t try to convince my husband. Considering the fact that my he’s not a Disney fan and we have to fly hours to be at the closest park, we have visited Disney parks a surprising amount of times since we’ve been together. We are missing Disney Shanghai and Disney Paris from our list, which is unfortunate because we have been to BOTH cities, just not the parks.
26. Swim with dolphins – Dolphins are my favourite animal, and this has been on my wish list for almost my entire life. If we do a few tropical vacations in the upcoming years, I might be able to get this off my list!
27. Do five pull-ups in a row – this is going to be a reeeeal challenge because I don’t push myself enough when it comes to working out lol, but I’m excited for it!
28. Do restorative yoga regularly (twice a week) – I am someone who dislike stretching. When I work out, I tend to do the minimum amount of stretching, just enough to warm myself up so I don’t hurt myself. Fitting with my self-care theme, I want to focus more on stretching in the upcoming years, to allow my muscles (and me!) to relax. I need to make this a regular thing so that I actually feel the effects!
29. Run 5K – I hate running, I really do, but I would really like to push myself on this one. Even if I don’t run an actual 5K marathon, I would at least like to say I can run 5K on a treadmill, even if it’s not exactly the same haha.
30. Do 10 glute bridges with 150 lbs – also a real challenge but one I know that I can work up to if I chip away at it slowly!
31. Complete our garden – When we bought our house, the previous owners had a pretty good foundation of a garden, but we’ve been slowly adding plants that we like, and taken away ones we didn’t. It’s SO much work and I don’t exactly have a green thumb, but by the time I’m 35, I’m hoping we’ll be at a place where we’re happy with our garden!
32. Finish decorating the house – We’ve lived in our house for 3 years and we’re still not done decorating, mostly because I gave up halfway as it got too expensive and time-consuming going to Homesense every weekend. If we could finish it up in the next few years, that would be great…
33. Renovate our bathrooms – the previous owners of our house renovated the kitchen and bathroom on the main floor as well as the entire basement, and they did a fantastic job. However, the upstairs was left in its original state. It’s completely functional, but it’s just not as modern as the rest of our house. I would love to do some renovations to the upstairs!
34. Start a herb garden – I keep seeing these adorable herb kits and I really want to try one. The idea of being able to get fresh herbs right from our own home is so appealing!
35. Create a dream patio – I’ve wanted to do this since we moved into our house, and we’ve made 0 progress on it because there were more important things to do around the house. I love looking at patio furniture even though we don’t have a patio, and I feel like having a nice patio will help me achieve goal #13, throwing a garden party!
And that is it! What are some things you would like to achieve in the next few years? I’d love to hear all about it!