Last month, I was nominated for the Liebster award by the lovely Jani V of My Life in Med School. Go follow her if you haven’t already! She has various posts about makeup, fashion, and not surprisingly, her journey through med school!
I found it extremely difficult to come up with interesting facts about myself…maybe that means I’m not very interesting 😛
The rules of this award:
1. Acknowledge blog who nominated you and display award;
2. Answer 11 questions the blogger gives you;
3. Give 11 random facts about yourself;
4. Nominate 11 blogs;
5. Notify them of the nomination;
6. Give them 11 questions to answer
Jani’s questions for me:
1) Who do you admire the most?
I’m going to sound cheesy, but the older I get, the more I admire my mom. She makes being an adult and a good mother look so easy. I also admire younger celebrities in public positions who use their fame to speak up for causes they believe in – just to name a few, people like Emma Watson, who is an advocate for gender equality, or Ashton Kutcher and Blake Lively, who speak out against the sexual exploitation of children. Not that older celebrities (Bono, Angelina Jolie, George Clooney, etc.) don’t support important causes and do a lot of good too, but the younger celebrities more easily access their audience through social media, and also hit a younger, more impressionable demographic.
2) What have you learned about life in 2017?
Thus far in the year, I’ve learned a lot in terms of my attitude in approaching life. I would say I’m generally a pessimistic person. There have been a few personal things that happened this year so far that haven’t been great. However, it has made me extremely thankful for everything that I have in my life, and to learn not to sweat the small stuff. It’s made me realize that every “normal” or uneventful day should be considered a good day, and it has just reiterated the fact that family always comes first, no matter what.
3) What is your favorite ice cream?
Hello, it’s ice cream, how can you not love it all! I honestly don’t think I have a favourite flavor. Off the top of my head, I love pistachio, green tea, earl grey, and salted caramel. I love trying unique flavours like honey lavender or cereal milk, etc. In general, I prefer creamy ice creams versus ice creams with chunks in them (like Rocky Road, Rolo, etc, etc.)
4) Where do you want to travel next?
Our next trip is for our honeymoon – we’ve booked two weeks in Paris and Italy during August. I’m super excited because I fell in love with Paris when I went at the age of 18, and have always wanted to go back with my fiancé. He’s just excited because it’s Europe, period, and he’s never been. Other than that, we’ve semi-decided that next year we might go on a cruise with our parents, since my parents keep asking to go on a vacation with us! We’ve never been on a cruise, so it should be interesting to see whether we like it or not.
5) What do you want most in life?
This question is so deep! I guess I just want to be happy, regardless of where my life goes.
6) Who is your favorite designer?
Hmm, this is tough because I don’t buy super high-end designers like Chanel, Dior, or Burberry, etc. We recently opened up a Ted Baker store in one of our malls just before Christmas, and I’ve been in love with all of the clothes there lately. I enjoy Kate Spade, too – I love the bows and all the girly designs of the brand.
7) Flats, heels, or sneakers?
I’m caught between heels and sneakers. Heels cause they look great, and sneakers because they are so comfy. I’m not a fan of flats – I find they’re always pinching my feet in some way or another.
8) Favorite animal?
Dolphins! I love the ocean, and I’ve always loved dolphins because they seem so intelligent and happy all the time. On a less exotic note, I also really love dogs and am on a (failing) campaign to own one.
9) Movies or TV Shows on Netflix?
Not sure if this question is asking if I prefer watching movies or TV shows on Netflix (the answer is TV shows), or if it’s asking what I’m currently watching on Netflix. I currently just started Santa Clarita Diet – I was on Season 6 of The Walking Dead, then I took a break to watch 13 Reasons Why, and when I finished 13 Reasons Why, I couldn’t go back to TWD because I was binge-watching too much darkness and depression. So I decided to watch something light like Santa Clarita Diet instead.
10) What did you study in college (or want to major in)?
I did a business degree and majored in Accounting in college. I promise you, we’re not as dowdy or dry as the media portrays us!
11) What is something you wish someone had warned you about?
Maybe this isn’t so much as a “warning”, but I wished high schools took the time to teach useful things to teenagers that will help them in every day life, particularly financial literacy – how to make a personal budget, what RRSPs and TFSAs are, how to file your taxes, and how and why you need to save for retirement, etc. etc. I learned a lot from my parents and also on my own throughout college and am continuing to learn, but not everyone has the same opportunities as me to learn.
Okay, now onto 11 Facts About Myself:
- 6 years ago, I broke my right baby toe jumping into the pool. And no, I didn’t jump into the shallow end – still mystified to this day as to how it could have happened!
- I’m terrified of spiders.
- I’ve had a pet turtle since I was 4. He doesn’t have a name, because I wasn’t into naming things as a kid, so he just never got one.
- I’m an only child.
- I love Disney. LOVE IT. I would be that person that goes to Disneyland or Disneyworld every weekend if I lived close enough.
6. People think that because of my chosen career, I’m good at math. Math was my worst subject in school. Accountants use calculators and don’t have to know how to use the Pythagorean Theorem!
7. I grew up playing the piano, and I had a very strict teacher that wouldn’t let me wear nail polish. The second I finished my essons (when I was 18), I wore nail polish on my fingers pretty much at all times. Gotta make up for lost time, ya know?
8. I owned a rescue dog growing up, and I would like to one day own another rescue.
9. I grew up (and still live) right next to the Rockies and I hate winter activities like skiing, skating, etc. What a waste!
10. I’m really bad at cooking and baking. I own a bunch of baking cookbooks (mostly thanks to my fiancé), and I love sifting through them to look at the beautiful photos of these gorgeous cakes, but I can’t bring myself to try making them because then I’ll have to eat my terrible creation.
11. My favourite food is potatoes. I don’t care how they’re made, I love them all.
Adryana from Adryana’s Beauty Blog
Nicole from Pretty Ruff Life
Dannii from A Beautiful Thing
Robyn of Lipstick on the Lake
Rachael of Helpless Whilst Drying
The Beauty Sanctuary
Amy from The Makeup Case
My Style Inside Out
Ingrid from Curly Spring Blossom
My 11 questions for you are:
- What do you like the most about your blog?
- What is your earliest memory?
- What are you most proud of?
- We all have a specific type of makeup item that we are too weak to resist (eg. eye shadows, blush, etc). What’s your weakness?
- What was your favourite travel destination?
- What is the best compliment someone has ever given you?
- What song are you loving right now?
- What is one thing you’ve always wanted to learn?
- What’s one beauty brand that is difficult for you to access and you really want to get your hands on?
- What is the “weirdest” thing you’ve ever eaten?
- If you won $1M in the lottery, what would you do with the money?